“Service animal” includes a:
“Bomb detection dog,” which means a dog that is trained to locate bombs or explosives by scent;
“Narcotic detection dog,” which means a dog that is trained to locate narcotics by scent;
“Patrol dog,” which means a dog that is trained to protect a peace officer and to apprehend a person;
“Tracking dog,” which means a dog that is trained to track and find a missing person, escaped inmate, or fleeing felon;
“Search and rescue dog,” which means a dog that is trained to locate lost or missing persons, victims of natural or man-made disasters, and human bodies;
“Accelerant detection dog,” which means a dog that is trained for accelerant detection, commonly referred to as arson canines;
“Cadaver dog,” which means a dog that is trained to find human remains;
“Assistance dog,” which means any dog that is trained to meet the requirements of KRS 258.500;
Any dog that is trained in more than one (1) of the disciplines specified
If a person is accompanied by an assistance dog, neither the person nor the dog shall be denied:
- admittance to/full and equal accommodations, facilities, and privileges of all public places of amusement, theater, or resort when accompanied by an assistance dog
- full and equal accommodations on all public transportation, if the dog does not occupy a seat in any public conveyance, nor endanger the public safety
- use of any public building, nor denied the use of any elevator operated for public use
- any person accompanied by an assistance dog may keep the dog in his immediate custody while a tenant in any apartment, or building used as a public lodging
Violation results in fine of not less than $250 to no more than $1,000, or by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than 10 nor more than 30 days, or both.
Harassment of/Interference with Service Dogs
- Assault on a service animal in the first degree
- Intentionally and without legal justification or lawful authoritykills or causes physical injury to a service animal to the extent that a service animal becomes physically incapable of ever returning to service.
- Class D felony
- Assault on a service animal in the second degree
- Ferry Travel Valid Go Id – 2 And Super 's Acceptable 2go Intentionally and without legal justification or lawful authoritycauses physical injury to a service animal.
- Class B misdemeanor
KRS 525.200 and 525.205 shall apply whether or not the service animal is on duty or off duty.
Defendant may be ordered to make restitution to the person or agency owning the animal for any veterinary bills, replacement costs of the animal if it is disabled or killed, and the salary of the animal handler for the period of time his services are lost to the agency or self-employment.
The operator of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to any blind pedestrian carrying a clearly visible white cane or accompanied by an assistance dog.
Assistance dogs are exempt from all state and local licensing fees.
Licensing authorities shall accept that the dog for which the license is sought is an assistance dog if the person requesting the license is a person with a disability or the trainer of the dog.
Emergency medical treatment shall not be denied to an assistance dog assigned to a person regardless of the person’s ability to pay prior to treatment.